Today marks one year since I created this blog. I clearly remember my resolve to start it. I needed a place to get out all of my thoughts and feelings about Benjamin without having to worry about how others would react. And I had been researching him and The Cars for a couple of months at that point, and I had a burning desire to categorize and sort the info.
In fact, it was my husband who unwittingly gave me the idea. One day we were driving to town (about an hour away) and I was going on and on about how the band would work on a new song, with Ric maybe making a demo and then all of the guys adding their parts, blah blah blah, when Ken jokingly commented, “You know, you should teach a class on these guys.” Well, that’s all it took to get these good times rolling.
I confess I’ve been surprised at how important this blog has been to me. I’ve enjoyed it so much! And I’m going to tell you why… in true Sweetpurplejune fashion: with a numbered list! Haha! And at the bottom I’ll list some nerdy stats. Here we go (in off-the-top-of-my-head order):
- It gives me unending pleasure to go back and read through it, not because I think I’m “all that,” but because it so perfectly represents who I am and my personal journey with Benjamin.
- I feel like I’ve come to know Benjamin so much better. Do I think I’ve learned all there is to know? Not even close! (Aren’t we all waiting eagerly for Joe Milliken’s biography???) But I feel like I’ve moved from being entirely possessed by his good looks, to appreciating more of what made him tick as a man and a musician (and yes, still his good looks).
- I am in awe of the precious relationships I’ve found… people who have started out as readers and who are now so dear to me! They have enriched my life immeasurably.
- I also treasure the friendships I’ve formed with those sweet people who have been willing to help me out; sharing their talents, answering questions, giving advice, and slogging through research with me. The time they spend is always an invaluable gift to me, never taken lightly.
- I’ve rediscovered my love for writing. I was always a big scribbler through high school and college, but then, you know, life happened and marriage and kids… and it had been many years since I put pen to paper for something that didn’t involve lesson plans or tetanus shots. That feeling of pouring my heart into a 1,500 word article and being proud of the result? Off the charts!
- Going hand-in-hand with writing is the opportunity to research. I love jumping on an idea or question and following it over hills and dales to find the answers I’m looking for (and often some surprises along the way). Plus, I’ve learned so much about things I’ve never thought to explore before, like copyright law (!), monitor mixing, the history of video production, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Whew — very enlightening.
- I’m picking up all sorts of other skills along the way, too: making gifs, creating video clips, crafting interview questions, and tip-toeing through Facebook drama fields.
- This blog has helped my through my MLC (mid-life crisis). Or wait… maybe it’s actually been my MLC? Haha! Entering the season of life where I’ve got kids graduating and gray hair popping up everywhere (on me AND my husband!) had me looking around for something to fill the void, to renew and refresh my energies. This blog has been just the thing.
- Not only have I gotten to know more about Benjamin, but I’ve come to love and respect each member of The Cars so much. Their history, group dynamics, and individual talents are constant sources of fascination for me; may I never come to the end of them!
- Because of many of my dear “Benj world” friends, I’ve been introduced to, and rediscovered, a LOT of great music!
“And I’m doing just what I like to do…”
So here’s to another year of discovery, my fellow Cars’ fans and Benjamin lovers! Looking forward to more rock-and-roll adventures with all of you. ♥♥
Stats for my first year:
Total posts (including this one): 160; total visitors: 8,282; total views: 27,561
Most countries reached in one day: 14
My first post: Just What I Needed
The one post that has 0 views: the lyrics for Cool Fool.