Our first episode of 2019 is such a happy one!
Here’s the set-up: Dave and Donna connected through Twitter back in 2016 through their mutual love of The Cars, and they became fast friends. After months of gabbing about the band together, Dave created the podcast so the two could share their thoughts with the world, and off they went. Largely due to their perfect yin-and-yang chemistry on the show, many people do not realize that Dave and Donna had never met in person!
Well, that little factoid became null and void over the weekend of January 11-13, 2019, when fans from all over the country converged on Cleveland, Ohio, to celebrate the publishing of Joe Milliken’s wonderful biography, Let’s Go! Benjamin Orr and The Cars. Joe’s incredible event set the stage for Dave and Donna to be in the same room together for the first time ever.
In this episode of the podcast, the two relive their adventures together (and apart and in-between) during those whirlwind few days in Ben Orr’s hometown, including:
- tracking down Rock Hall Robyn,
- visiting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Archives (brilliantly pre-planned by Dave),
- sharing Saturday breakfast,
- geeking out over their private screening of Turbocharge,
- gawking over Kurt Gaber’s abundant swag and surprise slideshow of Ben pics,
- partying at the big event: the book celebration at the Music Box Supper Club!
- gushing over Joe’s terrific interview, the badass concert with Moving In Stereo, and all of the beautiful people in attendance,
- then even more gushing about the book event — haha!,
- describing what it was like meeting each other for the first time,
- reveling in the deliciousness of a Rascal burger at 2 a.m. (for Donna, anyway!),
- recounting the emotions, the thrills, and the regrets of the weekend, and
- landing back in real life.
From there they move into The Midnight Scroll, where listeners’ questions spark a discussion about why Ben sometimes affects a British accent, and if there is a future possibility of the other members of The Cars appearing on the podcast as guests.
Be sure to listen all the way to the end where you’ll hear Ben talking like the Fonz — and the new outro featuring our exclusive voice talent, Miss Lizzie!
Now it’s your turn: Get in touch! There are lots of ways to do it. You can email us at email@example.com, or come find us on social media; join us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter @TheCarsPodcast (individually we’re @night_spots and @sweetpurplejune ), and subscribe to our audio outlets! You can listen by clicking the Youtube link below, or visit us on iTunes or Soundcloud. Wherever you connect, be sure to subscribe, share and comment!
Time to click below to join the party: