The induction into the Rock Hall is an indicator of many things, including an artist or band’s lasting impact on the world of rock and roll. Many (including myself) would cite The Cars’ obvious role in opening the window for innovation during the late 70s when rock music was nearly at a standstill, but it was more than that: the band’s influence continued to weave it’s way through the music of the generations that followed.
In this episode of the NiGHT THOUGHTS podcast, Dave and Donna highlight musical acts that have definitively pointed a finger at The Cars and said, “Yes! You influenced me!” They also throw in some notables that really exude the spirit and sound of The Cars.
Bands and songs from as early as 1981, all the way up to the end of 2017 are featured. The discussion includes: 38 Special, Collective Soul, Slash, Fountains of Wayne, Dante Tomaselli, Deathray, The Smashing Pumpkins, Sunset Valley, The Mylars, and several more.
Other elements of The Cars’ influence are unearthed as Dave reveals his own original Cars-inspired children’s album from back in the day… and also confesses to buying a One Direction song “for the sake of research” (yeah, right!).
Of course, no episode of this podcast would be complete without touching on such subjects as the RRHOF tickets, whether Paulina makes meatloaf, and the unpleasantness of Axl Rose’s gout. Dave and Donna wrap up the show with the second installment of “You’re A Flick Fandango Phony” where Dave calls out the Cars-related absurdities found around the web, and they celebrate two weeks in a row of legitimate content for The Midnight Scroll (well, except for the enticing offer from Abib). Thank you SO much for your REAL emails, Carol and Elizabeth!
And now for the interactive part of this article: those all-important links! Click away, my friends.
- Digging on Dante Tomaselli? Check out his webpage! And here’s a link to my interview with him from last year.
- Also, don’t forget to check out Brett Basil’s album on CD Baby!
- Find us on Facebook! Join the Night Thoughts Podcast group.
- More of a Twitter-er? Follow Dave here, follow Donna here.
- Subscribe to our youtube channel, comment, and share the links. 🙂
- Send us an email! Contact the pod at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to hear from you!
- Don’t miss out on cool and unique Cars merch! Treat yourself to some goodies at Tee Public.
Here’s the episode. Happy listening!
All graphics by @night_spots.